* * Anonymous Doc: You're crazy... I mean, uh, you're crazy.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

You're crazy... I mean, uh, you're crazy.

So, my schizophrenic patient is telling me she doesn't want to take her very much necessary medication, because she doesn't like how it looks.

"If you don't take the medicine, you're crazy."

[long, awkward silence]

"I didn't mean it like that."

"No, it's okay, I am crazy. I know I'm crazy."

"You're not crazy, you have an actual illness. I didn't mean to call you crazy. The medication is important."

"Well, if you think I'm taking it, you're crazy."

2 comments:

  1. Your patient probably thought you were being refreshingly straightforward. She certainly was. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I've heard of a case like this. Patient refused to eat anything red, including taking his meds. They switched the patient to the generic (different colour) and everything was fine.

    Try asking what the specific issue is, and see if it can be addressed in some way.

    Yes, patient is crazy. Find a work around.

    ReplyDelete