* * Anonymous Doc

Thursday, August 4, 2011

"Hey, I was hoping to go to a lecture they're having tomorrow morning about intern responsibilities," said my intern.

"It should be fine, but I'd rather play it by ear, in case it's busy, or we're still doing rounds with the attending, and I need you on the floor."

"But I was really hoping to go to the lecture."

"Your first responsibility as an intern is to make sure your patients are being taken care of. I think the lecture should be fine, if nothing crazy is going on-- but I just want you to be prepared to skip it if you're needed here."

"They told us we should try and make the lecture."

"I'm not saying you can't go."

"I feel like we're still going to be rounding, or something's going to come up, unless you say I can absolutely go."

"I don't know why they're putting a lecture about intern responsibilities in the middle of attending rounds-- which are the intern's biggest responsibility of the day. I can give you a lecture about intern responsibilities whenever you want. I don't know what they're going to tell you that's more important than actually dealing with your patients."

"But I heard they're having sushi."

4 comments:

  1. And here, for your amusement, is the story of another intern who doesn't get what it's all about:

    http://www.oglaf.com/swordmaster/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Durr.

    Though at my centre, they're actually pretty accommodating about getting people out for academic sessions.

    ReplyDelete