* * Anonymous Doc

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Was doing a shift in the ICU and was assigned to write a note on a patient being transferred back to the regular floors. She'd been in the ICU for two days.

I look at the previous note. "Patient is in ICU. Doesn't appear to be in too much discomfort. Stable."

Well. That's not very much information.

I go over to talk to the patient. Doesn't speak English. I ask for the translator phone. Oh, it's in the closet. I go to the closet. There is a phone there. It has no cord.

"Has anyone actually spoken to this patient in the past two days?"

"I'm not sure, no. I think we just went off the transfer note."

"So no one has any idea what the patient is actually feeling, her mental status, nothing?"

"Not sure we do. Nope. You should just write the note and let them deal with her on the floor."

"I don't know what to write if I can't talk to the patient."

"Just copy the last note-- and hurry up, we need the bed."

2 comments: