* * Anonymous Doc

Friday, April 22, 2011

"You still gonna be here in a year, doctor?"

"Just barely-- I finish residency next July."

"Okay, so I'll still get to see you again."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't come back for a year. I'm going to prison."

"Really?"

"Yeah, next Tuesday. I was on parole, and I messed it up. So I'm going back."

"Mind if I ask what you did?"

"Oh, you don't want to know. Doesn't concern you."

"Okay."

"No, you're supposed to ask again and make me tell you."

"No, it's okay. You're probably right that I don't want to know."

"Yeah, yeah, nothing with a doctor though. So you don't have to worry."

"Okay."

"No, really, I like you. I wouldn't do anything to you."

"I'm glad. I like you too."

"So you'll give me an appointment when I get out."

"Sure."

"I can schedule it now?"

"I don't know what my schedule is going to be in a year, but we can put something in the computer now and I'll slot you in once I know my schedule."

"That's great. Thanks, doc."

"Sure. Don't catch anything in prison."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know what I mean. I just assumed people have illnesses and stuff. I don't know a lot about prison."

"It's not so bad. Could be worse."

"Okay. Well, good luck."

"I'm gonna try to lower my cholesterol while I'm in there. You'll see. I'll come out with lower cholesterol."

"Great. Looking forward to it."

"Cool. See you in a year."

"See ya."

3 comments:

  1. ok... so what would he do to someone that would send him to prison for a year that he wouldn't do to you just because you're a doctor. now i'm curious!

    PS the code word that came up for the comment was mensped... irony?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad - but he (I assume it's a he) trusted you enough to tell you the truth, which is good. Maybe you can get the patient set up with a resident you trust for after you graduate?

    ReplyDelete