* * Anonymous Doc

Friday, April 30, 2010

We have a patient who's been basically brain-dead for the past month. She opens her eyes when you call her name-- or anyone's name-- but that's the extent of any sort of response. She's on a feeding tube, there's no reason to have any hope she's going to recover.

But here's the thing I don't understand-- she came in weighing 500 pounds, needed a special bariatric bed... and she still weighs 500 pounds.

What are we feeding her through that tube?

How can she have not lost any weight?

Usually we're trying to keep patients from losing too much weight, we're trying to keep them from wasting away... but this patient... how can she still be this big??

It's insensitive to ask the question, I know. And what does it matter anyway? But every time I'm in her room, I'm just baffled by it.

1 comment:

  1. hmm, i stroke my chin and scratch my head with you, doc

    ReplyDelete