* * Anonymous Doc

Monday, July 11, 2011

"So that's all you're going to do for me?"

"I'm writing you a prescription to help with your allergies, yeah."

"I'm paying here. I want everything done."

"You have seasonal allergies. I'm writing you a prescription. That's what I've got for you-- I think it'll help, and you'll feel a lot better. Follow up in a few weeks, and we'll make sure it's working for you."

"No. I'm not following up in a few weeks. I want to do everything now. I'm paying for the full package."

"I can't tell you right now if this particular medication is going to be effective for you. My hope is that it will be, and so you'll try it, and then we'll see how you're doing."

"No, you're going to tell me right now, and you're going to give me the whole package, because I'm paying you for it."

"What do you mean by 'the whole package'?"

"I want a blood test, I want a physical, I want a heart scan, I want a brain scan, anything you can scan, I want the works."

"You don't have any medical reason for these tests. And you just had blood work done a few months ago, so there's no reason to repeat without any symptoms."

"I don't care if there's a reason or not. I want it done."

"I'm not able to order unnecessary tests, I'm sorry. You came in with a complaint about allergies. I'm addressing that complaint, and giving you a prescription. If you have other medical concerns, then let's definitely talk about them and figure out what needs to be done. But it's irresponsible to order tests without a medical reason to do so. They can be dangerous, everything has a risk."

"I don't want the risky ones."

"Everything we do has a risk. No reason to expose patients to unnecessary radiation, or invasive procedures."

"I'm paying good money for this."

"And I'm trying to treat your medical problems effectively."

"I expect more."

"I'm sorry, sir."

"I'm not leaving without at least a couple of x-rays."

"I think I'm going to let you talk to one of my colleagues, across the hall in the mental health clinic, if that's okay with you. I think he might be able to help with some of the concerns you're having today."

"Is it included in the price?"

"It's covered by your co-pay, yeah."

"Well then that's what I'm talking about. Why did you need to give me an argument?"

"I'm sorry, sir."

No comments:

Post a Comment