* * Anonymous Doc

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

3AM page while I'm laying down in the call room. I call back--

"Doctor, I'm sorry to wake you."

"It's okay, what's up?"

"Patient in 1303 pulled his eye out of his socket."

"Pulled out what??"

"His eye."

"His EYE?"

"Yes."

"Um, I'll be right there?"

Don't ask. Just don't ask.

Amazingly-- amazingly, because I have only seen one thing grosser than this, and I'll save it for another post-- amazingly, the overnight ICU resident was able to put it back in place without any instantly-obvious consequences. Not for the squeamish.

5 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? No instantly-obvious consequences??? How??

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh come on, we need more details than that...what led up to this eye pulling? dont spare the details man, I am on my ICU rotation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of a bar fight I was in (or near, I was under a table) years ago. One of the fighters sucked the eye out of the socket of the other. The one with the detached eye stuck it back in and continued fighting - the lasted only another 15 seconds, but he's still very proud of the fact he kept on fighting.

    I still know him. He claims it did not impair his sight, but I won't get anywhere near a car with him driving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It... but... HOW? Come on, man, we need DETAILS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the sister to a 10-year-old-moron who once tried this in the spirit of scientific enquiry (with two teaspoons no less) I can assure you that eyes are (thankfully) surprisingly robust, and not that easy to remove.
    My parents got him counselling, and ritalin (who knew?)

    I introduced the twerp to yahoo (hey, 12 years ago) and our home was fortunately a less gory and traumatic place thereafter.

    ReplyDelete