* * Anonymous Doc

Saturday, October 24, 2009

I didn't mean the last sentence of my previous post. The commenter is right. I apologize.

I can't sleep. I don't know why. Usually I have no difficulties. I don't think it's tied to anything from work, except maybe it is. Maybe it's the work itself, a week of it accumulating after two weeks of vacation.

I almost did a bad thing the other night. Okay, I did do a bad (negligent) thing, but luckily nothing bad happened. I accidentally left a patient off my sign-out list, to the guy on night float. Easy mistake to make, but shouldn't have happened. If something had happened to the guy during the night-- nothing did-- they would have paged the guy on night float, and he would have said he didn't know that patient, wasn't on his list, he would have had to pull up the file, he wouldn't have known what was going on. He would have figured it out, but it would have taken a few minutes, he would have been caught off-guard, and something could have happened to the patient. Teaches me to triple-check. I didn't realize until getting my patients back in the morning. Saw he wasn't on the list. Went to check on him. He was still there. He was okay. A bit of a relief. Wouldn't have been disastrous, in 99% of cases, but still, I should be better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment