* * Anonymous Doc: "I'm afraid..."

Sunday, December 16, 2012

"I'm afraid..."

"So, I have to tell you, you are in really good shape for a hundred years old.  I don't see a lot of patients in the kind of shape you're in."

"I'm afraid, though--"

"Well, I know, at your age there's really no guarantees of how much longer--"

"No, no, I'm not afraid of dying.  I'm afraid of being in a wheelchair."

"Uh, you're walking okay now."

"Yeah, but slower than I used to."

"You're a hundred!"

"I know, but I used to be able to walk great.  And now I have the cane, and, down the road, who knows."

"I think you're doing great."

"No, I can barely walk around the block."

"That's a long way to walk."

"It is not."

"For someone your age, I promise you it is."

"I just don't want to end up in a chair."

"There are worse things.  You have your mind..."

"No, it worries me."

"Well, we're going to do our best to keep you as active as we can for as long as possible."

"I hope you do better than my last doctor."

"Why, what did he do?"

"He retired."

"I'm still pretty young."

"For now."

2 comments:

  1. Love this. I want to be like this patient at 100!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn tootin' she/he is going to outlast you, young un. Tricia

    ReplyDelete