* * Anonymous Doc

Thursday, April 29, 2010

"Sir, this test is perfectly safe. Your wife will be fine. You can wait right outside her room."

"But she doesn't speak English. She won't know what's going on."

"That's why we have an interpreter in the room with her, along with the doctors."

"But what if something happens?"

"This is a routine procedure, we do this all the time. She'll be fine."

"But what if she's not?"

"She'll be fine."

I go deal with another patient while the technician is doing this test on the patient. Five minutes later I hear the alarm bells.

"Rapid response, room 316."

What room?

"316."

I sprint down the hall-- that's my patient's room. After I told her husband the test would be fine-- I promised him--

I get to the room.

"What's going on?"

"The interpreter passed out."

"But the patient's fine?"

"Yeah."

Career advice: hospital-based interpreter is not the right job for you if you faint when you see blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment